Thursday, January 24, 2008

Rock Album Meme

Updated (2/29/08): I have removed the album image at the request of the copyright holder.
Updated (2/29/08): The image has been restored and is being used with the permission of the copyright holder for this post only. No further reproduction is authorized.

I haven't done a meme in a long time because I got tired of answering endless lists of pointless questions. Dave of Blogography hates lame memes too, so when he does one, it's usually first quality. Earlier this week he did one that had a strong creative element but still within the skilz level of a l@m3r like me. Dave did a great set of directions, but I will try to explain as well.

1. Pick a band name by visiting a random Wikipedia page. My band is New Jersey Route 164. At first I was ready to pick another, but then I decided there was a certain Springsteenesque cachet to being named after an obscure road. Plus it comes with it's own built in logo. There is also some sort of karmic significance that Route 164 is now Dowd Avenue, which is right by Newark Airport where my son's marching band stayed last spring. The coincidence is now seeming kind of mysterious. I do worry about what WikiGnome decided all the highways in Joisey were WikiWorthy while Josh Fruhlinger gets dumped.

2. Name your album by going to this random quote page. Take the LAST quote on the page and select the last four words of that quote. My full quote is:

Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
- G. K. Chesterton
English author & mystery novelist (1874 - 1936)

So the name of the album is The Subject of Cheese, thus making a liar of Chesterton.

3. The album cover art is the THIRD image on the random Flickr page. My image comes from Roland Lacson a/k/a rlphotography who has many wonderful beautiful photographs. Then I ran the whole thing through Photoshop Elements, picked some fonts and came up with this album cover mock-up:


Image rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

I feel a few qualms using a copyrighted picture on my faux album cover, but since I'm not a real rock band, maybe I can get away with it.

BlatantCommentWhoring™: Play along either in the comments or on your blog. Pasting up the actual cover is optional.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Psst! Someone recreated my WIkipedia page. Don't tell the haters!

Anonymous said...

An amusing little meme. It took me a couple of tries to get anything that sounded even halfway reasonable. (My first Google result was Nellie Furtado, which would be cheating).

Anyway, I got:
Globe of Peace (not bad, but maybe a Christian rock band)

of their appointed rounds (from the NYPO inscription taken from Herodotus. But I also liked Families are All Mysterious [Gloria Steinem])

The picture is , which has a very strong album cover vibe circa 1992. Perhaps Globe of Peace is a twin sister act.

(PS Josh, they've already flagged your article again, for lacking context.)

yellojkt said...

d-x,
That photo would make a great cover. Particularly if you photoshopped in the band name and album title as graffiti along the wall.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I've tried this a few times before and they've all sucked rocks. But this one is better.

Band: Obsoletely Fabulous (from Futurama)

Album: Backwards Without Turning Around

Picture: A sweet looking candy apple red electric jazz guitar (probably Les Paul) taken as a long horizontal shot from the end of the body down the neck.

Rich Boye said...

This is so deeply odd as to be cool -

1) My Band:

Mixing Bullets and Firing Joints.

(that's actually the name of an album by Grandmaster Flash)

2) Album Title:

This quote:

"Anybody who watches three games of football in a row should be declared brain dead." by the late Erma Bombeck leads me to the suprisingly cool album title, "Be Declared Brain Dead"

3) My album cover is also surpsingly apropos -

Rich Boye said...

Another strangely plausible set:

1) Band Name:

"Love Him"

2) Album:

"The Deeper They Burn"

3) Cover:

An extreme close-up of a woman's face centered on her eye.

I could do this all night.

(but I won't.)

2fs said...

Okay...my "band" is called Cantons of the Aveyron Department, its album is titled Being Terribly, Terribly Deceived (from this Oscar Wilde quote: "The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived"), and this image is my random image (by Evje Calling). I did up a three-minute album cover here, as well. Ms. Calling reserves all rights to her image, including the right to yell at the person who invented this meme that uses Flickr photos even if rights are reserved. (PS: Man, you have got to change the font on that album title, yellojkt...it's making me break out in hives. I'm sensitive like that.)

flasshe said...

Cool game! Here's what I came up with.

Steve said...

Systemic constellations have forgotten the intangible.

Anonymous said...

Mine actually worked out pretty well. I've posted it here.

This meme was fun. For a change.