Last year about this time I did a 11 part series I called the National Crappiest Comics Competition or the NCCC™. The competition was a 16 comic single elimination tournament to determine the comic most deserving of elimination from the comics page. BC was about to carry off the trophy when Gil Thorp stole the crown in a very controversial call by the judge, namely me.
This year I am running a different NCCCC or NC^4 which I have called the National Coolest Comics Character Contest. Rather than model it on the NCAA, it will be based instead on the Westminster Kennel Club. I have come up with six archetypal comics characters categories and I will nominate at least four characters in each grouping. Then all the winners of each type will compete for best of show.
Best of all, to avoid last years fiasco, the voting will be public and all readers of this blog are eligible to vote. While I have already determined most of the candidates, I am open to nominations from the floor, subject to approval. The ground rules are pretty simple:
- All characters must be a featured regular cast member of a comic strip currently in newspaper syndication.
- No webcomics, discontinued comics, or comics solely in reruns are eligible. This disqualifies all characters from Peanuts, Liberty Meadows, and Pogo, among others.
- Write-ins are allowed at the sole discretion of the judge. Write-in candidates must otherwise meet all other eligibility criteria.
Without further ado, the categories are:
- Most Realistic Teenager
- Most Precocious Kid
- Hottest CILF – Funny Division
- Hottest CILF – Soap Division
- Best Evil Anthropomorphic Animal
- Most Ambiguously Gay Duo
Remember, instead of last year where I was trying to determine the crappiest comic, this year I want to find the BEST character. Contestants in each category will be kept confidential until the blog post goes live. At that time, I will announce the approximate time voting closes and I will declare the winner in the comments. There will be two categories posted a week with the final competition tentatively scheduled for Monday, April 2. The final week of competition is contingent upon me finding adequate internet connectivity while I chaperone my son’s annual band trip.
BlatantCommentWhoring™: Feel free to make nominations from the peanut gallery.