Sunday, May 20, 2007

List Of Lists


I’ve been running across a lot of lists on the internet lately. When I was in grade school, I read The Book Of Lists and its sequels by the Wallace clan and I’m still addicted to that level of trivia. One of my favorite lists lately is Dave Marsh’s The New Book of Rock Lists (which is actually pretty old). Just recently I posted my comments about the Entertainment Weekly List Of Best Science Fiction Movies Of The Past 20 Years. Here are some more lists worth checking out.

25 Books To Make You Look Like A Poseur

The first list I ran across got me angry. It was on a website aimed at recent college grads and was a list of books that would make you look good to have. While the article was called 25 Books That Look Good and Read Even Better, I called it 25 Books To Make You Look Like A Poseur But Might Get You Laid because the while some of the books are good, the reasons they give to have them are so cynical. I’ve read about half the books on the list and I did get a chuckle out of the category called 'Has Anyone Ever Really Finished This?’ because despite my best efforts, I have never finished Gravity’s Rainbow no matter how many times I have started it. And I finally decided that I’m not qualified to even try Ulysses until I go back for that PhD in Literature.

10 Books That Keep Your Seat Clear On The Subway

Christopher Hitchens has a new book out called God Is Not Great. Thanks to the fortuitous death of Jerry Falwell, he has taken the chance to flog this book while letting everyone know what he REALLY thinks of organized religion. This book title inspired Trybecca to list other books guaranteed to get you stares in public. I found the book amusing because I will often try to pick just the right book to read when I am taking a long flight or will be in public. Just yesterday, I had to spend the day at my son’s rocketry contest and I needed a book to read. I’m currently reading Ten Days In the Hills (full report to come during my next BooksFirst post) but since the book is a little racy, I decided to take a science fiction anthology instead.

10 Worst Ten Americans

Captains Quarters is that rarest of animals, a thoughtful and insightful right-wing political blog. It seems there is some sort of wingnut meme out there where you have to name the worst ten Americans of all time. His list is actually well-reasoned and spans four posts that you are welcome to navigate on your own, but his number one pick is very interesting.

BlatantCommentWhoring™: Give me some more lists to read.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

MSN is running a list of the Top 25 Web Hoaxes and Pranks.

I actually finished Gravity's Rainbow, but I have no idea what it was about or what it meant. All I really remember is something about an immortal light bulb. I've never gotten past the third paragraph of Ulysses.

Sue T. said...

Back when I was in college, I used to pick up the Baltimore Gay Paper (now known as GayLife) to read when I was sitting in the laundromat and didn't want guys to hit on me.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

For some dumb reason my parents have a couple of old David Letterman "Top 10" books in their bathroom. Makes for hours of leg-numbing entertainment.

Your Mother said...

I have no list, but I did tag you for a meme on your next meme day...

yellojkt said...

u*t*b*m,
I will get around to that meme, until then, the Five Weird Habits and the Six Weird Things memes will have to fill in.