Wednesday, September 07, 2005

This Is A Public Service Announcement....With Guitar

OK, there are no guitars. At least not until I ask my fifteen year-old how to embed multi-media links. Which I won't do. Like Bill Cosby playing Theo in basketball, I want to harbor some illusion that I still have an edge on him geek-wise.

Early in my blog, like here and here, I started a naive "How To Blog" series, which is like Paris Hilton teaching an Abstinence Works seminar. When I realized no one was paying attention, I decided I had better build a blog worth reading before I went on the lecture circuit.

Lo and behold, I ran across this little gem and all the wind left my sails. This is so dead-on funny, that I just can't get it out of my mind. It seems a lot of people get Blog Depression like this person (who at least has good taste in templates). If nobody reads my blog, is it worth writing? If I don't post a couple of times a week am I a failure and an even bigger loser? What hope do I have? This Blog Depression is contagious. Go tell the fine folks at the nonist how badly they are discouraging rookie bloggers like me.

But then, I think that's their goal.

Technorati tag:,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

nah, not trying to discourage. i actually created that pamphlet on an afternoon i was feeling particularly blog depressed. lo and behold it became hugely popular and helped fill the sails again. really the main message i think is: don't pressure yourself. no point. it's just self administered torture. what could be sillier? blog for fun, and if it aint fun, don't blog.

best

Anonymous said...

i don't think you need to despair, yellojkt, your blog is fine just how it is. all i suggest is shortening your posts, and maybe publishing more interesting comments on life . . . wait. . . i'm not helping. i'll shutup now.

Anonymous said...

That's a funny bit. It takes me waaay back to When Dirt Was New and we were given a bunch of those booklets in school about how Drugs are Bad, mmkay, and all the other wonderful little things that can go wrong in our young lives.

After reading those things it's a wonder we survived, what with all the hazards of life out there.

For me it's not about gathering the comments or gathering the readers (both of which I do bitch about occasionally); but I do pressure myself just to get something down since that was the point of keeping a blog in the first place: just to get myself writing on a regular basis. It doesn't necessarily matter what I write so long as I have written.

dena said...

I put some really meaningless, random stuff on my blog. Doesn't depress me, but it might depress (or bore) the people that read it. Oh well, it is all about ME, isn't it?

visiting from michele's today.

Bonvallet said...

I'm happy I found your blog. I am going to add you to my list of favorites today.

Anonymous said...

I think we need weekends off.

Your Mother said...

I agree with colleen. Weekends off. I think sometimes that I should at least post SOMETHING, anything so there is an entry for that day. Then I thought WTF? It's my blog and it is all about me right? So I'll post what I want, when I want. Then end. Okay, that is bullshit. I feel the pressure. I want the loyal readers. I wanna be on someone's blogroll. My problem, is that I'd rather blog than do my horrid homework. eek!

I like your site and I check it regularly. Please don't stop. K

Your Mother said...

PS - it'd be nice if you had a blogroll me button. I'd push it!