Thursday, September 08, 2005

Barbara Bush Lets Them Eat Cake

Barbara Bush said somethings on the radio that make you suspect that foot-in-mouth disease is at least partially hereditary. This is as complete a quote as I can find (from Editor and Publisher):
Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to
Houston. What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them.

I'm not sure what scared her so much, but for the record here are some things she wasn't quoted as saying:
    "As long as they don't move into my neighborhood."
    "If they had no water at the Superdome, why didn't they drink iced tea?"
    "This place has been going downhill since A-Rod got traded."
    "This is a great idea. It's like a underpriviledged youth summer camp, except for old sick people that no longer have homes or personal posessions."
    "Thank goodness we don't have empty sports arenas in Kennebunkport."
    "I find that Dave Chapelle guy kinda scary too."
    "I'm so glad all these people got to visit Texas for free. We ought to do this every year."
    "If people get bored, I know my boy never finished clearing out all the brush at his place. He got called back to Washington for some silly reason."
    "Think twice before moving here. James Byrd got shown some Texas hospitality too. Just sayin'."

Technorati tag:,

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the mother of George Bush. That explains some things.

Olyal said...

That family was truely bred from the shallow end of the gene pool. The most certainly aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.
Michele sent me tonight!

Anonymous said...

Mmm...You can see where young George gets it from can't you? I'm glad I don't have Bush as my president (instead have his best mate - John Howard! - ooo I don't know who is worse!)

Thanks for visitng my site tonight. Have a great weekend.

Michelle said...

Sheesh! Staying out of this one! here via Michele this morning! Have a great day!

JustLinda said...

Hi! I'm here via Michele too, but this time CECELIA sent me! hahaha

Panthergirl said...

Er, Diana? The quotes ARE made up. Love ya, hon, but keep drinking the Kool-Aid...

HIlarious if not so true, Yello. I'm surprised she didn't mention that all these people would have been much safer if they were still picking cotton on plantations.

Please stop by any time!

Here via michele!

Anonymous said...

I can't quite believe she said that, but I also feel bad because I think she meant well. She just meant that from the people she was talking to, it sounded like they were very grateful for the hospitality, and it was more than they were used to.

Here from Michele's. Have a great weekend.

Panthergirl said...

"meaning well" doesn't cut it when you are that out of touch. To imply that poor people are fine with living in sports stadiums because, well, it's an upgrade for them is just deplorable.

You know that joke about how if you say "with all due respect" you can say anything? Like "with all due respect, your sister's a whore"? That's how I feel about "well meaning" people like Barbara Bush.

Believe me...I lived in Greenwich CT. Women like her are everywhere.

Spock said...

HAHAHA Here from Michele's.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I for one am not moving to Texas!

Thanks for stopping by my place :)

Bonvallet said...

Gross! And she was a former first lady of ours? (belch).

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Tourists get all the breaks.

(Hi. Here from Michele's place.)

Anonymous said...

I had a conservative visit my blog today and say that she'd "like" to think that the quote was taken out of context.

Which I was just wondering, what would be a good context in which to suggest that since folks were "underpriveleged anyway" that being homeless in the Astrodome was working out well for them?

I don't get how people can live with blinders like that on, but I guess their whole belief systems would have to collapse if they didn't.

trusty getto said...

Ha ha hee hee hoo hoo. That's just great, yJ

Your Mother said...

Oh everytime I see or hear that quote I just cringe! When I first heard it, I wanted to believe she mean better like, well, they have a roof and some food for now. Then the more I pondered, the more I realized what she said and while it is inference on my part, I figured I understood what she really meant. The quotes were great! Keep em' coming!

carmilevy said...

Can't say I'm surprised at her comments. The bulb never did shine too brightly, and anyone who thought that grandmotherly aura could counter a fundamentally elitist and self-centred personality was clearly deluded.

At least the family's true colors are out there for all to see. How sad.

Dropped in from Michele's tonight.

dena said...

Oh Dear God...just one more reason why that entire family nauseates me!

markus said...

the bush's never cease to embarrass me. nice blog! michelle sent me!