Friday, September 02, 2005

Blog For Relief Day

Even though Wonkette ridiculed it, she is on board with the people that brought you the Adorable Rodents blog rating ecosystem scheme to have this Labor Day Weekend be Blog For Relief Weekend. I didn't even know about this effort when I made a pitch for Catholic Charities in my last post. I have given my meager amount and listed this board on their big list of paticipating blogs, not because I have a large devoted wealthy generous readership, but because every little bit does help and I feel I should do something.

Now, the whole Blog Scoreboard seems a little self-congratulatory to me, particularly since contributers have to go to a form to fill out their donations for the blog to get credit. I really don't give a damn if anybody credits me or not, give to your favorite charity or your own church if you think the money is better used there. Just do something.

There, I haven't felt so good about myself since I was 10 years old and getting doors slammed in my face by suspicious geezers that thought my impromptu neighborhood canvassing on behalf of Jerry's kids was a scam for ice cream money.

Update 9/3/05: My friend in Mobile is doing well. They were out of power for 3-1/2 days starting as soon as the storm hit Monday morning. His house suffered minor damage, but less than the hurricane deductible. He thinks FEMA will reimburse him for the generator and chainsaw. He thanked me in advance for my contribution as a taxpayer.

Technorati Tags: ,

20 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

So, Jolley, how much ice cream money did you get?

(Hee. You're a kind gentleman. Good on ya. I'm here from Michele's place.)

Marcia Peterson said...

There, now I found you! Have a great weekend.

(Michele sent me)

Anonymous said...

Hi yellojkt! I agree... "Just do something."
And thanks for visting the Moo (and Dogs in Tubs)!
Cheers,
LJ

Anonymous said...

Sometimes words mean everything, but it's times like this, when they utterly fail to do justice to all the wrong that exists, that we find ourselves wanting to shut up and take some kind of tangible action. Still figuring out what that means for me.

Anonymous said...

Huh. I was just here, of my own volition, even, but Michele told me to come back. So I did.

Bonvallet said...

I gave so I'm here to tell you I've patted myself on the back and congratulated me for being as generous as I could afford. Kidding. Good for the relief efforts. And good attitude of not giving a damn if anyone credits you or not.

Sarie said...

Hello Michele sent me.

utenzi said...

Michele sent me, Yellojkt.

Katrina is most definitely prominent in the news and on the blogs. Death and destruction does certainly get everyones attention. Charitable giving is great-- but sometimes I think the excessive news coverage smells a bit like rubbernecking at a car wreck.

Margaret said...

I'd rather see people give for the sake of giving instead of for the credit, but maybe seeing all those names will encourage others. I don't want to blog just about Katrina--but it seems hard to speak of anything else. I'm glad your friend is safe.

Here from Michele.

Anonymous said...

News from St. Bernard
A friend of mine sent me this account of her boyfriend's experience in St. Bernard Parish.
prada handbag Terrific Gifts for Spring and Summer. Many Styles! Shop from our VAST COLLECTION of Handbags today! prada handbag

J Anderson said...

Michele sent me.

kenju said...

When I give, it will not be done for publication, but for my own satisfaction.

Michele sent me. I'm gld your friend is okay.

dena said...

FEMA was good and quick when making reimbursements for Isabel when we were hit a couple years back. Glad to hear your friend didn't get too hard.

visiting from michele's

Anonymous said...

Visiting from Micheles...
We do have to watch for scammers. Tragedy brings out the worst in some people.

Margaret said...

Back again from Michele's! Have a great week.

Jewaira said...

Here from Michele's and thanks for stopping by.
Our prayers go out to all those affected by hurricane Katrina and hope they will be blessed with patience and alot of assistance to get their lives back together again

Mike said...

It is unfortunate that disasters like Katrina always bring out scam artists out to make a buck.

Here from micheles.

trusty getto said...

Yo, thx for the visits, both to Michele and to my place.

I particularly liked your suggestions for law chgs!

Do tell, how much did you scam as a kid? ;^)

Anonymous said...

I think this is noble of you. I posted a recommendation to donate, too, a few days ago. Thanks for visiting today!

yellojkt said...

For the record, I made my parents drag me to the TV station to pour the pennies and nickels I had coaxed out of my neighbors into a big bucket the had in the parking lot. Maybe 20 bucks. No one said thank you. No TV cameras were on. Very disappointing.