Sunday, March 15, 2009

Great Minds


This syndicated cartoon by Jeff Danziger is dated March 12 and appeared online and in the Washington Post yesterday:

It looks familiar. Where have I seen it before? Oh, yeah. On the March 8 post of Dowd Report:


Note that Danziger didn't have the gumption to draw the iconic red polka-dotted bandanna that appears in the original poster onto Michelle.

Now I'm not accusing Danziger of plagiarism because the idea is too obvious. Unbeknowst to me, at least one commenter on a political blog made the suggestion (without executing the idea) before I had posted my version. Besides, based on the number of views Dowd Report gets, it's unlikely that he was one of the couple of hundred people to even see that post even though, thanks to some third party links from commenters on HuffPo and DailyKos, it was one of the most popular posts in the history of the blog.

Still, I'm amused that I had the same concept as a famous syndicated cartoonist a week ahead of him. Great minds think alike. I don't know what my excuse is.

2 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

There's no way that's just coincidence, there's just too many similarities. I mean he even copped the collar pin. I agree there's no proof (or point in pointing out) plagiarism, but he could at least give you the acknowledgment for the reference.

A Free Man said...

What amazes me is that there are serious discussions about Michelle Obama's arms. I mean, this is a 'political issue'. For chrissake, is it any wonder the economy is in the crapper?